Total Pageviews

Pages

Give a Hoot Virtual Half Marathon, Houston, TX, July 18, 2024

Race #98

On July 18th, I ran a virtual half marathon to get me one race closer to #100. Summer in Texas can be brutal and I didn’t want to travel for this race, so I knew that a virtual was my best option. I started at 5:15am but it was already 78 degrees with 90 percent humidity. My knee was better but with the heat, I hadn’t trained very much, so I knew from the start that this race would push me. I definitely needed some inspiration on this day.


I had found a quote recently that really spoke to me and I thought about it a lot during this race…


"You gave me a forever within the numbered days…"

~ John Green, The Fault in Our Stars


Mikie and I often said “I love you forever” and I think when I used to say that to him, I thought of it as an infinite statement. But when you lose your soulmate, you realize that although you may still love them forever, they aren’t physically here to receive that love and they are no longer here to physically give you their love. It can feel like forever has become finite because although we always knew our days would be numbered, we thought we would have so many more of them. So instead of feeling cheated of more days, I am trying to recognize that Mikie gave me forever in the days, months and years that we did have together. I can’t say that I do this well every day, but I try to do it more each day than I did the one before. I love you forever, Mikie ♥️


This race benefits the Florida Wildlife Hospital, which has rescued, rehabilitated, and released thousands of sick, injured, and orphaned native Florida animals. FWH is available 365 days a year to admit wildlife patients. They care for more than 5,000 patients per year.  There is never charge for animal care but they receive no state or federal funding.

No comments: