Total Pageviews

Pages

OC Half Marathon, Newport Beach, CA, May 5, 2024

 Race #96



On May 5th, I ran the Hoag OC Half Marathon in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa, California…two spots that were very special to Mikie. This was my first half marathon run in California and this was a race that Mikie had run in the past, so that made it even more special to me. This was also the first race that I got to run with my California bestie, JJ. She has been training with me throughout this process and has been a huge support for me, not only in my running, but as a great friend! And I also got to spend time with my sweet friend Tam and stop by Encino and have lunch with Mikie’s Aunt Louise and his cousin Lori. What a blessing!



The weather couldn’t have been more beautiful on this day…it was a crisp spring day and the sun was shining. I always feel Mikie with me at every race, but I could really feel his presence for this one. The race started in the heart of Newport Beach and about a mile of the race was run along Ocean Drive, past Corona Del Mar Beach, Inspiration Point and other beautiful spots and as I ran along, looking out at the Pacific Ocean, I will admit that tears started flowing. I tried not to cry too hard, otherwise the other runners might think I was hurt 😆. But as I ran and looked out at the ocean, I could see Mikie on his boogie board, chasing the waves and looking for just the right one. Getting back to his beloved ocean always renewed him. He felt such peace in the salt water and he had so many wonderful memories of growing up in the water. I loved to hear him tell stories about those escapades! 




My next race is going to be a virtual half on June 2nd to commemorate the day that Mikie left for Heaven.

No comments: