Total Pageviews

Pages

The Denver Half Marathon-October 14. 2007

Race Number 12 (88 to go!!)

(Imagine a noisy, out-of-control classroom, somewhere in Colorado.)

“Class, today we will work on our vocabulary. Mikie, can you give me the definition of STUPID?”

“Sure, Mrs. Grant. Should I refrain from using the word in a sentence that references you.” Mikie says with a smirk on his sweet little face.


Mrs. Grant, with her usual frown says, “Yes, Mikie. That would be disrespectful and I will send you to Mr. Munier’s office.”

Mikie sinks in his chair and murmurs under his breath, “Big deal-he’s a cream puff any way. He TOTALLY understands why I cut up in fourth grade. In fact, he has encouraged me to make life miserable for Mrs. Grant.”


Mikie thinks for about three and one-half seconds and begins vocalizing his definition. “The definition of STUPID is when you decide to run a half marathon within two weeks of your last one. Now, the definition of REALLY STUPID is when you decide to run a half marathon within two weeks of your last one AND you marry off your youngest son in that two week period and have NO time to train. The definition of INCREDIBLY STUPID is when you decide to run a half marathon within two weeks of your last one, marry off your youngest son AND go to Outdoor Education Lab with 54 sixth graders for FOUR DAYS and NIGHTS within that two week period. The definition of INCONCEIVABLY STUPID is when all the above are in place and you run that half marathon in 35 degree weather, in a steady rain, at 5,280 feet!”

“Oh, Mikie, do you know anyone THAT stupid?” asks Mrs. Grant.

“Yes, Mrs. Grant, I do. In fact, I have a list of people who are that stupid, but I will keep that to myself, cuz the ladies in the school office might get offended. But, I REALLY think Mr. Munier is that stupid, cuz he did all the those things”

“Wow” Mrs. Grant responds. “I think Mr. Munier is not STUPID at all. I think he may be the the smartest and toughest man I have ever known. In fact, I think he is related to Superman, Popeye and Einstein. He should be your hero and role model, Mikie.”

Mikie blurbs out, “Oh my gosh! Stupid is as stupid does, Mrs. Grant!!! Gag me with a dead maggot!”

Editor’s Note: The above conversation actually took place in Mrs. Grant’s classroom. Mikie was expelled from school and sent to a special school for gifted and talented smart-alec's. He probably will never grow up even with special help.

Actually the race was reasonable. The race took place in downtown Denver, going past the Pepsi Center (home of the Avs), Coors Field (how about those Rockies), up Gilpin Street (a one mile 3 % grade) and through the quint parts of Lodo and the Highlands. Frostbitten finger tips were the only real problems I experienced. I had a real hard time opening my free bag of potato chips. Time: 2:17:09.

Prayer List this run: Amanda and Morgan Munier married by me on October 6th. I prayed for them at every mile marker. They are such a good match! Blessings forever, kids!

Next race? Not sure yet, but I need to run at least one race by the end of November. I am looking at a race in Fort Collins, Colorado on November 3rd or Tulsa on November 18th. Stay tuned.



8 comments:

lisa-mimi-to-jules said...

Amazing! and then in your honor the Rockies beat the DBacks..What a day! Best wishes to your son and his bride. Keep up the inspiring running!

Anonymous said...

I told you that you are GRAND, Munier!!

Kim : )

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to Morgan and Amanda! Sounds like another great run...

Anonymous said...

Whew, you accomplish more in a week than most do in a lifetime. Congrats on marrying off Morgan, it is a goal we all strive for, to see our children marry the one they are meant for! Way to go on the race as well!
Roseann

Sandy said...

You are TOO FUNNY!
We're so glad you survived the last two weeks. Hope you can catch your breath now before your next adventure.

Blessings to Morgan and Amanda!
Does she know smart-alec Mikey is her father-in-law's alter-ego?

Anonymous said...

And impossibly stupid is thinking your body could survive that race after sleeping on plywood covered by 3" of foam padding for 3 nights just prior to the race! Hope the recovery from both the race, and OL are going well! RUN MIKIE, RUN!

CurlyFries said...

You are so inspiring Mike (both the running and the writing). Great job! And congrats to Morgan and Amanda!

Anonymous said...

Even if it is incredibly stupid… it’s still incredible! Congratulations Mike! It is great to hear from you. That is a lot of news for a short period of time. Congratulations on Amanda and Morgan Munier, they will be in our prayers, and how cool that you got to do the service. We had no idea you were such an accomplished runner. I am afraid my bones don’t take fondly to running any more, so I have started cycling and I really enjoy it.

Deb and I are doing well. She recently took a job as CFO of a company and loves it. I will be transitioning out of my current position as Congregational Life Pastor at WaterStone (a.k.a. Centennial Community Church) over the next four months. The position has become progressively more detailed and administrative—unlike you, not my strengths—and am beginning to explore new possibilities.

Keeps us posted “RUNNING MAN”.

Blessings!

Dave (& Debbie) W