Total Pageviews

Pages

The Redline 13.1, Longmont, Colorado, July 16, 2011

Race Number 42 (and I had a third place finish in the 60+ age bracket!!)

Like others, I experienced athletic success early in life. Unlike others, my successes happened infrequently and without my help. My accomplishments were always unexpected. In fact, most of the truly magical ESPN type sports moments in my life have come not because of me, but in spite of me. Yet, it is the human way to exert oneself, every now and again, in eccentric enterprises and I guess this may help you understand why I am so insanely stubborn about completely at least 50 half marathons. I suppose I am trying to make up for years of mediocre performances and then gloating about it in a self-indulgent blog (which usually puts a soft touch on the experience, thus a little parachute for my self-esteem when I finish towards the rear of the pack, these days).

We all have dreams and ambitions, though few of us ever become all that we could be (unless you were in the Army, of course.... and certainly not any of the other services ;-). We all fight a silent war of some sort. Those that watch us marathoners and half marathoners only see the act of running, but as anyone on the course can tell you, there is a powerful, intricate conflict underway. William James had said, “War is, in short, a permanent human obligation.” We long distance runners fight this war against the most difficult of enemies; ones self.

And, as with war, comes misery and suffering. War is hell, and long distant running is nothing short of war. Today’s race in Longmont kept that war raging in my soul, to keep moving forward, to stay the course in the face of some pretty significant pain in my thighs, feet and lower back AND 80 HEAT!! I may be asking more of myself than is reasonable, but, as I noted in the first paragraph, my successes have been few, so I NEED to do the unthinkable, to endure the hardship (along with 400 other runners), all in the name of accomplishing an endeavor I deem noble and worthwhile at this point in my life. 

By mile 10, I was staggering haplessly, fighting with all my might to remain steadfast and fluid. I think video of miles 10-13 could have made people laugh on “America’s Funniest Home Videos.” Yet in the midst of the staggering, there was honor, I suppose. I think I have learned, again, what it means to stand resolute for what you believe in, whilst every shred of your material being is being tested to the limit (I am a hurting puppy as I write this). With this struggle comes renewal. Running these races is not about running anymore, it is about a form of temporal salvation for me (and I am certainly not diminishing my spiritual salvation through Jesus Christ).

It is kind of obvious that my physical efforts of the past and those in the future, may not result in many trophies for my office (except for the surprise today in a small field of runners), but my soul wins every time.

Be steadfast at whatever your heart calls you to my friends. Blessings to each of you as you answer your personal call!


Prayer List: Miles 1-3: Jenny Granholm, Amanda Munier's mother.  Diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.  An avid adventurist, Jenny is not taking this laying down!!!  Miles 4-6:  For a marriage, (I will not disclose, of course), that is dissolving asking God for His peace and comfort for all involved.   Miles 7-9: The Carlson family (Tim, Kelly-who ran the race today, Tyler and Peter.... an incredible family whom I admire very much. Kelly use to try to run me over in the parking lot at JA. Miles 10-13: Selfishly, I prayed for myself as I went out pretty fast in this race for 9 miles (back felt good) and then really started to struggle the last four miles. I am really not in great running shape.

1 comment:

CurlyFries said...

Great job Mike! 3rd place in #42, you might actually pull this off! Very inspiring my friend.